Monday, May 2, 2011

Long Day but All is Well!

We left out of town around 5:30 this morning for a 8:15 appointment. We ran a little late due to the wonderful rain falling basically the entire way and heavy traffic past Springtown into Ft. Worth. Briley had another spinal tap scheduled and chemo treatment in the clinic after that. I don't know what happened today, but everything moved so slow...........
She is put to sleep during every spinal tap, so of course, they don't want her to eat anything after 10:00 the night before and no drinks after 6:00 the morning of. Everything was done as they asked. She went to clinic first to have her port access then blood drawn to get counts. Her counts looked great! Then off to the special procedure area. We waited and waited some more. Then finally they called us back. We waited. Then we overheard Briley was the last procedure for the day and then for some reason we were moving upstairs to the main surgery area. The paper work is different between the two areas, so we waited some more while they got the paper work straighten out. Finally, at 1:00, she went back for her procedure.
Now, trying to tell and keep a 3 year old from eating or drinking for that long is a challenge. I felt bad for her because they were handing out donuts at the clinic so she got one to have on hand for after the procedure. That donut became very tempting to her and she wanted to hold it for the last couple of hours and said, "I promise I won't eat it!" Although she tried to sneak a sprinkle or two!
Other than my little rant about waiting, things went according to plan with no lasting side effects as of yet. The doctor is still very impressed with her progress and said she is one of the strongest kids she has seen at this point in treatment. I think alot of that has to do with the many prayers that are said for her daily! There is not a doubt in my mind that God hears these prayers and He is watching over her.
After the procedure, we went back to the clinic and I think they were feeling sorry for us for waiting so long. They had her lunch there and the chemo was ready to go! 20 minutes later, we were done! We left Ft. Worth around 4:00. The trip home was uneventful. Briley and Alicia slept most of the way. I finally tired out and actually let Alicia drive right before we got into Olney. She is always telling me that she will drive while I slept. Well, I can't sleep when I'm that nervous!
We made it back to Seymour, and then drove to Munday to pick up Bryson. I don't know what we would do without the kid's grandparents! It's wonderful having them here to help out when need be.
Briley has one more chemo treatment in 10 days, then she will have a 2 week break before starting the next phase. Please continue to pray for her as we can see that all of the prayers are working for her. Thanks!


  1. Hi Briley
    My name is Jenna and I came across your site. What a beautiful, precious and special child you are. U are such a trooper, and a brave courageous fighter. U are a warrior and ur smile tells everyone that you are a true championn.
    U are an inspiring hero.
    U will be in my thoughts. I was born with a rare lfie threatening disease.

  2. Hello Miss Briley, forgive me for not checking on you lately. So thankful your last spinal tap was as good as it was also chemo went o.k., how can chemo be o.k. NOT, but you are becoming a "pro" at the many things your precious little body can endure. You are an inspiration to me & i am 70 yrs. older than you, but i don't think i could smile as pretty as you do during those procedures !!!!!!! you are in my thoughts & you little brave girl.


Thank you for your thoughts & prayers for Briley! God Bless!